One of the most important ingredients of the Celi Diet are the healthy nutrients. ‘Watching the Body’ food must be good happy food. A depressing food program will not help me fit my jeans. So firstly I take particular note of Omega 3. In many scientific studies Omega 3’s have been linked to a rise in the feel good factor. Pasture raised organic eggs are significantly higher in omega 3. I fried them in pure butter this morning. Two clean ingredients. In fact some radicals in the medical profession have gone so far as to say that instead of giving people drugs to stabilise their moods, maybe it would be better to feed the person in question good food that is high in Omega 3. Who knew!! So as well as being alarmingly good for you this muesli will make you smile too.
I have noted just a few of the vitamins and minerals in some of these nuts, seeds and fruits, just to remind myself how important this muesli is to my health. There are many more health benefits in these ingredients, the comprehensive lists are long. Also nuts have been indicated as a weight loss associate, so if you are caught short, a teaspoon of peanut butter will do just nicely as a snack. (John has it on a slice of apple, I eat it straight off the small spoon). Check your label though. Just Peanuts in the ingredient list. Pure peanut butter supplies a reasonable amount of folate and Vitamin E plus fibre.
When you are shopping for your fruits and nuts buy organic if at all possible and also check your label for added sugars and salts! These processed hidden sugars, sugar substitutes and salts are bad, bad. bad. This diet will not tolerate high fructose corn syrup.
Celi Diet: Muesli
In a large roasting pan sprinkle about 2 tablespoons olive oil then ADD
- 2 small cups rolled oats
Then add 6 cups of nuts and seeds. Today I added:
- 2 cups chopped almonds (Vitamin E, calcium, magnesium)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (omega 3, Vitamin E, iron )
- 1 cup flax seed (omega 3, Vitamin B complex,superfood)
- 1 cup sunflower seeds (anti oxidant, Vitamin E, manganese, niacin)
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds (copper, manganese)
Toss lightly in the oil.
Place in oven set at 250 degrees. Set your timer and stir it every ten minutes for about 40 minutes or until your mixture is lightly toasted. This is a slow process so use your timer.
When toasted raise temperature to 300 and add 5 cups of dried fruit and the honey. Today I added:
- 2 cups raisins (very high in iron)
- 1 cup dried cranberries(anti oxidants)
- 1 cup dried blueberries( anti oxidants)
- 1 cup dried and chopped apricots (potassium, calcium and iron)
- drizzle with 1/2 cup of pure local honey( super food)
Stir and return to the oven, stir every 5 minutes from now on as the honey may make things stick. The mixture should get a bit clumpy. In fact sometimes I add more honey to encourage clumps. When the raisins are puffed and hot and happy looking you are done. (10 – 15 minutes) Don’t let those raisins burn. Take out of the oven and cool in the pan. Store in large jar.
Now, I am going to introduce you to the next important two components of the Celi Diet 1. Mini vessels. Eat this muesli in little ramekins. Chew slowly and thoroughly. Sometimes your tummy needs time to tell you it is done. This is very filling. You will only need a tiny serving.
2. Always have a glass of water before you start your meal. If I am hungry between my little meals I drink bubbly water. Seventy-five percent of Americans are chronically dehydrated and this often feels like hunger. Also dehydration creates apathy and leads to depression. Too many people get miserable while adjusting their body-weight. So use water as a dieting and feel-good tool. And if you get desperate for something sweet, brush your teeth.
I eat the muesli twice a day in a beautiful tiny bowl with unsweetened greek yoghurt, or pure milk. I eat using a tiny spoon. I do not serve with processed milks at this point. (Remember those hidden sugars and salts). For the people who do not drink cows milk I give them a spoon and tell them to eat it as a dry snack. It is just as good that way too! Remember eat slowly!
- No Flour
- No Sugar
- No Rice
- No Roots
- No cheating